How to care for and clean a summer hat
Straw hats do require a little more TLC due to the delicate nature of the material but by following our handy guide you can ensure your summer hat is kept in pristine condition and looking as fresh and clean as possible. This blog post aims to guide you on how to remove dirt marks without ruining or damaging it.
You will need the following:
- A toothbrush or a cleaning brush
- A small bowl/cup of warm water mixed with mild soap/detergent
Steps and top tips to a clean summer hat:
- Firstly, brush off any dirt with a brush dabbed in a solution of water/mild dish/laundry soap in a circular motion. (Please note, do not submerge your hat fully in water or it will lose shape!)
- Take care to not brush too hard as you do not want to damage the weave
- Air dry while stuffing the crown with clothing to keep its shape
- If the brim appears distorted in shape, you can also place a heavy book or object on the side of any brim that is bent to fix any dents.
How to clean sweat stains out of hats?
Ideally, wipe a stain using a clean damp piece of cloth with a little bit of dish soap. We find baby wipes work equally well for wiping off make up marks too!
How should I store my summer hat?
When it comes to storing your hat, it is best to keep it away from direct sunlight and heat and hang it on a hook or place it flat in your wardrobe ensuring nothing is squashing it, which over time would cause it to misshape.